21 Aug 2013

Fandom: "Why You Should Watch"

If anyone were to ask me what my favorite medium is, it would have to be television shows. That's where I have most of my fandoms. There's just something about being able to follow the characters season after season that really speaks to me. But with the vast amount of shows being made each year, I don't always discover my favourite fandoms right away. Discovering a show after its completion can both be a good thing and a bad. The good is that you don't really have to wait for another episode, you can binge-watch to your heart's content. The bad is that what you see is what you get. You know exactly how many episodes will be left until it's all over.

Now, there can be many reasons as to why someone might miss out on a show when it first airs. You were too young when it first aired. Or you had too many other fandoms going on just then and didn't realize you were missing out. You never heard of it before. Or maybe you did hear of it, it just didn't sound like something you would like.

I personally have been introduced to shows in so many different ways. I've had friends pester me about it until I eventually gave in. I've been headed to conventions featuring at least one or more shows I hadn't seen before. To begin with, that didn't really concern me all that much, but after falling in love with no less than two shows only after meeting actors from them, I've learned my lesson, and now I make sure I watch at least one season of the other featured shows before attending any convention.

Most recently, I've started trying out shows on Netflix whenever I've had the time and been in the mood for something new. Sometimes I act upon recommendations people have given me, other times I just choose something I might have vaguely heard about, just never seen before.

So, what I would like to do with this column is try and give my recommendations for good already completed shows out there. The reason I specifically want to focus this column on completed shows, is because whatever current shows I'm watching, I'll probably blog about in some way, shape or form, anyway. Also, if you're anything like me, you'll probably want something you can binge-watch whenever your current shows are on hiatus. I'll try to randomize the order I do them, so that there'll be a little something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment